If you are like most people, you are faced with the challenge of finding how to save money every month. In many cases, it is more something you have to do rather than want to do. It is never a pleasant challenge to take on because it requires you changing habits, becoming more disciplined, and making sacrifices. If you can find a way to make little adjustments to several areas, then you might not feel that it is all that hard a challenge. These suggestions will help you find a way to meet your budget goals and save money every month.
- When grocery shopping – try to load up on those staples when you see that they are on sale. Look for coupons, discount brands, scratch and dent items, or anything that might have a reduced price on it. The quality will be good enough for your household.
- Conserve energy when you can. Not only is it environmentally responsible, it is fiscally responsible. Powering down or unplugging items that aren’t in use will always help lower your energy bill. Use less water by using high efficiency shower heads and water aerators on your faucets. Dress warmly and use more blankets in the winter so you can use less heat. In the mild seasons open your windows. In the summer, keep your blinds shut during the day to keep heat out.
- Cut back on entertainment expenses. Try seeing movies at matinee times, making sure you eat before you go so you don’t overpay for snacks during the movie. Better than that, wait until the movie is released to a second run movie theater or it is released on video. Try to find ways to entertain yourself without spending money.
- Try to carpool, use public transportation, or ride a bike. Try to find ways out of the driver seat of your car and you will find ways to save you some money.
- Eat at home more. It is tempting to run out to a fast food restaurant or a dine in place instead of taking the time to cook a meal. This adds up quickly. While a meal at a sit down restaurant may cost about $15-20 a person, you can treat a group of 2-5 people to a nice meal for that amount.
- Stop smoking. This one is really expensive arghh… If you don’t have that habit then you don’t have to worry. If you are one of the millions who spend $5-10 per day on something that is only making you sick then try to find something better to do with your money. Every day you are sacrificing your health and your budget so that you can fill your lungs with pollutants. There are better things that you can be doing. The long-term cost may be much more than that as you deal with health problems that are caused by your habit. Save money now and down the road by stopping smoking. Consider it your retirement plan.
There are many ways how to save money every month. Some of them might not seem attractive to you until you see the result that is a little more money in your account at the end of the month. Once you start seeing those results you may want to turn it into a challenge to see if you can do more. Keep pushing yourself to save more and see just how well you can do at saving money.